PhD Scholarships at the Royal Veterinary College
In 2017 LIDo will be reserving three scholarships for students looking to join, world-class specialist institution, the Royal Veterinary College. A range of topics are on offer that will be of interest to biomedical science and veterinary graduates.
Scholarships are for 4 years and provide a stipend and home/EU* tuition fees. Students will be full members of the LIDo programme taking advantage of the considerable benefits of this unique consortium whilst embedded in the expert environment of the RVC.
Some of the available projects are listed below, and more will be detailed here before the closing date of 20th January 2017. It may also be possible for the successful candidates to develop a project with RVC supervisors.
For full details on the following projects please contact the supervisor
- Spatial proteomics meets genome annotation, a multi-omics approach to improve Eimeria protein functional interpretation, Supervisor: Dong Xia
- Identification of carbohydrate based targets potentially preventing Theileria sporozoite infection of host cells, Supervisor: Dirk Werling
- Genetics of breed susceptibility to canine diabetes mellitus and insulinoma: From one extreme to the other, Supervisor: Brian Catchpole
- The role of the microbiome in maintaining gut health and in educating the immune system, Supervisor: Rachel Lawrence
- Pack and deploy: Nature's flatpack design motifs revealed with 3D imaging, Supervisor: Michael Doube
- Testing deworming strategies in a wild mammalian model system, Supervisor: Sarah Knowles
- New Imaging to Model the mechanical drivers of osteoarthritis, Supervisor: Andrew Pitsillides
- Aquatic propulsion and fluid dynamics of living and robotic frogs, Supervisor: Christopher Richards
- Functional analysis of proteins in the lysosomal pathway, Supervisor: Claire Russell
- Do Apx toxins of Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae distract the immune response from recognizing the neutralizing determinants?, Supervisor: Andrew Rycroft
- Yeast surface expression and structural modelling of vaccine antigens for the protozoan parasite Eimeria tenella, Supervisor: Fiona Tomley
- Transmission networks of novel zoonotic hybrid schistosomes in West Africa, Supervisor: Joanne Webster
- Dynamics and control of formation flight, Supervisor: Alan Wilson
- Novel gene families encoded within apicomplexan Eimeria genomes: NGS, genetic and microscopic characterisation, Supervisor: Damer Blake
- The Computational Biology of mitochondrial TSPO, Supervisor: Michelangelo Campanella
- Molecular imaging of tendinopathies with Raman spectroscopy, Supervisor: Jayesh Dudhia
- Antibacterial Nanofibres for Wound Care, Supervisor: Liam Good
- Identification of vaccine candidates in Mycobacterium bovis, Supervisor: Sharon Kendall
- Role of chromosome structures and selection in conservation of long intervals of animal chromosomes for millions of years of evolution, Supervisor: Denis Larkin
If you have any questions about completing a PhD at the RVC please contact Dr Kristien Verheyen, Head of the RVC Graduate School
We invite applications from highly motivated students from a wide range of academic backgrounds including biological, biomedical, veterinary, physical, computational, engineering or mathematical disciplines.
Applicants must hold, or be expected to achieve, a first or high upper second-class undergraduate honours degree or equivalent (for example BA, BSc, MSci) or a Masters degree in a relevant subject.
To apply you will need to send the following documents in a single email to: LIDo.Admissions@ucl.ac.uk. All documents must be submitted in unprotected PDF format. Please indicate in your personal statement that you are interested in the RVC studentships.
- Completed Application Form (Sections A and B) including details of two Academic References
- The disability and ethnic origin monitoring form
- Official Final Transcripts from Completed Programmes of Study
- Official Interim Transcripts from On-going Programmes of Study
- English Language Qualification (if required, please see below)
- Academic CV
- Copy of Passport